Classic auction for a price increase
Categories: Furniture and carpets
Start and end of bidding: 2018-08-08 To 2018-09-07
Contribution amount for participation: 0.03 $
Auction step: 7.5 $
Origin (State, Province): France
Size: 182 X 62 CM
Age: Mid 20th century
Description of Design and History:
Antique Tapestries – A tapestry, simply put, is a textile specifically designed and woven to portray an artistic scene with the intent of hanging it on a wall. An antique tapestry would be one that was produced at least 100 years ago. Antique tapestries are highly sought after collectible items with examples displayed prominently in many museums around the world.
While some wall tapestries can date to the biblical era, most of the great examples known today are from the medieval or Renaissance periods of history. Nobility and wealthy patrons commissioned tapestries depicting scenes or images of importance. The tapestry served as a large-scale mobile art piece which would have been displayed on the wall of a castle or home and was easily transportable from home to home.
Many of the surviving antique tapestries depict religious and / or historic events. For example, a king might have commissioned an antique tapestry with a scene depicting a great victory in battle. As the king moved to his various palaces or castles the tapestry could be moved along with him as well. Another example could be a religious antique tapestry, commissioned by a religious institution and some would only be displayed at the church or cathedral during certain religious events. Other wall tapestries might display images of a family and those would usually depict the family’s coats of arms. Antique tapestries vary in size, and range from items that would cover a single wall of a small room to major works that are massive in size. Some antique tapestry works are actually sets or a series of works on a common theme.
Weavers used the natural materials available at the time. Wool, cotton, silk and linen threads were dyed to the desired colors before weaving. Some tapestries also included gold and silver thread accents. Sadly enough, in the past, there were owners who destroyed some of these tapestries to recover the precious metals leaving fewer examples of this breathtaking form of the art.
A tapestry is largely thought of as a European form of textile art. Most of the major countries of Europe did produce tapestries with a highly developed art forms evident in Germany, Spain, Belgium, France and more. Antique Tapestry weavers continue to produce works of textile art till this very day so not every tapestry is an antique.
The terms of participation
- To participate in the Classic auction as a buyer, the user must be registered in the system and confirmed by the administrator.
- On the site, a registered user can go to the auctions section in subsections to select lots and save them to submit documents for participation before the auction starts.
- About the beginning of the selected auctions the user receives in advance notices in the personal office and on the electronic address.
- The buyer can connect to participate in lots of the Classic auction at any time until the close of trading.
- To participate in the auction of the Classic auction, the buyer must pay participation in the auction in the amount of 0.002% of the initial value of the lot.
- After the end of the auction, regardless of the outcome of the auction, the paid amount for participation in the auction is irretrievable.
- The winner in the bidding is the participant who made the last step of the auction, that is, offered the highest price for the lot.
Seller data is available only to the winner of the auction.:
Published on: 2018-08-01